Re: SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 overwrite /etc/shadow

From: Bela Lubkin (belalat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 14:37:33 PDT

    Brock Tellier wrote:

    > Any user may overwrite any file with group auth (i.e. /etc/shadow,

    [sad tale which does not require repeating]

    Brock, I would like to publically thank you for the auditing you are
    doing.  And, I suppose, hang my head in shame at the problems you're
    finding in the process.

    You are being heard.  Various people and groups at SCO are scrambling to
    fix what's been mentioned.  Your discoveries are also prompting various
    proactive security audit efforts.  I'm not in a position to make any
    promises about results.  I do know that we have good intentions and will
    try to deliver on them as well as we can...

    Not an official SCO representative --