Re: Your Message Sent on Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:09:36 +0200

From: Darren Moffat (darren.moffatat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 11:35:09 PDT

    >We called Sun today, and obviously they don't give a damn. They refuse to
    >consider this as a bug, as long as it is possible to correct the problem via
    >the rmmount.conf file (which is true).

    Firstly I can only give my applogies for this, and assure everyone on
    BUGTRAQ that I am looking into this.  We at Sun do care about security
    and we try to react to the information we get on this forum as quickly
    as possible.  However not everyone at Sun is security aware and people
    do make mistakes.

    The behaviour is a bug (Bug Ref# 4205437) and it is being fixed.  For
    those people who have a service contract you should be able to call up
    and register your interest in that bug, it has been escalated to
    engineering for patch production and temporary fixes are available for
    those with service contracts.

    If you have a service contract and have any problems with this
    particular bug then please contact me directly with the service order
    number you were given by Sun Enterprise Services.

    Note that the following workaround is still valid:

    Append the following to /etc/rmmount.conf

    mount hsfs -o nosuid
    mount ufs -o nosuid

    --
    Darren J Moffat