Re: BUG: Win NT TCP/IP Security filters does not get enforced

From: Bill Stackpole (bstackpoleat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 09:39:59 PDT

    Number reason why security mechanism fail are directly related to
    configuration errors.

    This is a great example.  The GUI is confusing, the help file minimal and
    the documentation. . .unclear, non-existent, ???

    To make matters worst, it appears:
      The software enforces the LEAST restrictive rather than the MOST
    restrictive rule.
      Refuses to enforce the rule for certain protocols.
      Ignores the rules and transmits certain core Microsoft protocols unless
    you unbind them from the card.

    I couldn't understand why the servers at the company we share our Internet
    connection with kept sending packets to my NT
    server until I realized that dispite the "security" filters the NT box was
    still sending out NETBIOS "management" packets.