Re: RFP9903: AeDubug vulnerabilty

From: Steve Coleman (Steve.Colemanat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 07:15:17 PDT

    Mark Dixon wrote:

    >Does the debugger fire when no one is logged
    >in ? I imagine it does but I've never seen a Dr Watson at the login
    >screen.

    I once had an NT cron job that would invoke Dr Watson late at night when
    ever a certain piece of network hardware was not accessible. The Dr
    Watson would hang until someone logged in and clicked the Ok button.
    During the interum, since my application instance was still loaded in
    memory, a new instance could not be run at any subsequently scheduled
    time. It seems to me that this behaviour could be classified as a DOS
    attack if someone knew how to force a Dr Watson for a given process.

    I don't recall what version of Dr Watson but I do know that it occured
    with both NT 3.51 and NT 4.0 sp3.

    --
    Steve Coleman     <Steve.Colemanat_private>   http://www.jhuapl.edu/
    <<--------->> Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory <<---------->>