Re: Resistance is futile,

From: Adam Shostack (adamat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 14:28:18 PDT

    On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 11:17:29AM -0700, David LeBlanc wrote:
    | I was in the middle of the effort to try and protect ISS' Scanner against
    | the licensing being cracked, so I've got some unique insight.  It took the
    | crackers about 3 months to crack the 4.0 release of the NT scanner (I was
    | honored that they'd rather crack the NT version I built instead of the UNIX
    | version, but...).

    Hey, we went through this too, ya know! :)

    David and his group went to a lot more effort than we did.  I
    advocated against doing this work, even though it would have been a
    lot of fun, and even though I was really interested in it as a
    fascinating problem, it relates very closely to the copy-protection
    problem, which is unsolved.  I don't think you can build a system in
    software only which a sufficiently dedicated attacker can't crack.
    This is the position that I advocated when we were building
    Hackersheild, and thats the position that prevailed: That its not
    worth spending a lot of time and energy on, because you will lose if
    your attacker has control of the system on which you run.

    Adam

    					               -Hume