Re: Gauntlet 5.0 BSDI warning

From: Strange (strangeat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 10:19:46 PDT

    On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Keith Young wrote:
    > 	This issue will appear if you do the following in sequence:
    > 	1) Install BSDI 3.1
    > 	2) Install Gauntlet 5.0
    > 	3) Install BSDI patch M310-049
    > 	4) Install Gauntlet 5.0 kernel patch level 2

    According to the folks we asked at NAI in June about the Gauntlet install
    procedure (on all supported OSes), the install order to be used is:

    Install OS
    Install OS patches
    Install Gauntlet
    Install Gauntlet patches
    never install any OS patches again

    Because of that last nasty gotcha, we use a firewall builder box when we
    want to "patch" the firewalls.  We then pull the newly-built drives, and
    swap them into the extant firewall box.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

    > SOLUTIONS -
    > 	A) Install M310-049 *before* installing Gauntlet 5.0.

    Interestingly, this is what the vendor told us to *always* do, under *all*
    circumstances.  I'd say that if you're going to apply vendor patches, you
    should assume you have to do a full Gauntlet reinstall because Gauntlet
    5.0 replaces some key kernel items.

    Gauntlet 5.5 apparently avoids some of these issues by getting in front of
    the stack (much like ipf does) rather than replacing kernel code.  OTOH,
    Mike Frantzen, in our summer-long "break the firewall"  party, had some
    issues with some intentional 5.5 behaviors.  Mike F. again deserves
    accolades for his magic ability to decompile code in his head.

    > 		1) # cp /usr/local/sys.gauntlet/i386/OBJ/ip_input.o
    > /usr/src/sys/i386/OBJ
    > 		2) # sh /usr/local/sys.gauntlet/build_kernel/build_kernel 50.1
    > 		3) # reboot

    I.e., a vendor patch replaced code that the gauntlet had already replaced.

    I am wondering if this is *really* a Gauntlet bug or a Gauntlet vendor
    documentation bug (they do not, as far as we could tell, make it plain
    that you should not apply vendor patches after installing the firewall).
    We got our clear answer only by calling support.

          -M

    Michael Brian Scher (MS683/MS3213)  Anthropologist, Attorney, Policy Analyst
                Mainlining Internet Connectivity for Fun and Profit
       strangeat_private     strangeat_private     strangeat_private
         Give me a compiler and a box to run it, and I can move the mail.