Netscape 4.x buffer overflow

From: Max Vision (visionat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 17:46:26 PDT

    I have found a buffer overflow in Netscape Communicator probably affecting
    all versions.  The problem occurs when Communicator attempts to load any
    dynamic font where the length field is shorter than the font data area.  I
    have tested this on 4.61 and 4.7 under Windows.  Netscape has been
    notified of the problem and expect a fix for 4.8.

    As the problem manifests during the loading of a dynamic font, and portion
    of the font data that exceeds the specified size of the font triggers the
    problem.  Thus, the potential for widespread DoS attacks via email.  I
    suspect, but have not pursued, the possibility of exploiting the overflow
    to execute arbitrary code.

    [ Note: I originally submitted this issue to bugtraq October 8th, but it
    was not posted.  The above two paragraphs are *exactly* the same as
    another accepted post "Netscape 4.x buffer overflow" except I replaced
    "key length" with "dynamic fonts" and it is equally valid.  For more
    information and a sample exploit see
    http://www.whitehats.com/browsers/maxvisioncrash47/index.html ]

    Max Vision