Re: Unqualified Postings

From: Wanderley J. Abreu Jr. (stormat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 01 1999 - 22:02:12 PST

    (...)
    >Where's the security risk? If the software is rarely
    >used, if no exploits are widespread, why bother
    >informing the security community about some buffer
    >just because it's too small.

    >Add an exploit if you want to gain popularity -
    >I personally do not encourage such postings here.
    >
    >Edi

        I don't know if bugtraq is the right list to put ALL security failures,
    or bugs, or whatever... I personally realeased only a few exploits and fixes
    to major security problems on widely used softwares.  But, I have few points
    about your message:

    1.) The list is moderated. I think that the Moderator knows what is best to
    his list.

    2.) What is the mesurement to a "too small" problem? Most people who sign
    this list administrate LANs or even WANs with a vast variety of win95
    software with those "small problems". Take for instance the weak encryption
    of WS-FTP passwords: Basically, common users, have problems in reminding
    passwords, so they use one password for all things they have to
    authenticate, should I need to go further? On a WAN this simple thing can
    cause a real disaster.

    3.) Why should I sign a bunch of security lists when all I need to know
    mainly is found in just one?

    Cheers,
            Wanderley