Re: Unqualified Postings

From: Marc (Marcat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 01 1999 - 14:44:48 PST

    Stupid overflows?
    Avirt, CMail, WFTPD, MSN Messenger(decrypt not overflow). Those are not
    stupid overflows at all... in fact I was just auditing some government
    servers a few weeks back that ran WFTPD. Yes these products can be
    downloaded from download.com but that does not mean they are not widely
    used. In fact i would think it is the opposite. Everyone can download the
    newest software and send a bunch of A's to various commands... I agree. If
    that is all it takes to overflow a some what widely used software product
    then people need to know about it. The stupidity of the developer should not
    necessarily reflect back to the person that found the hole. You point out
    USSR as a "company" that pretends to do security research... they definatly
    do security research and some fine research at that. The software they have
    pointed out is actually in use by a lot of places. I've seen each of the
    pointed out products on various clients I have audited. As far as exploits
    go... exploits are already in the wild for each of these software products.
    While you might be bothered by the few eMails USSR has released ... even if
    one administrator has benefited by the posts that is enough.

    As for exploits... Luck Martins and USSR definatly know what they are doing
    and can/have coded exploits for the overflows.

    Signed,
    Marc
    eEye Digital Security Team
    http://www.eEye.com

    P.S.
    eEye released advisories on IMail and SLMail both which can be downloaded
    from shareware sites. I guess we are just pretending to do security research
    though.