Re: [Re: Amanda multiple vendor local root compromises]

From: Alexandre Oliva (olivaat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 03:53:16 PST

    On Nov  1, 1999, Brock Tellier <btellierat_private> wrote:

    > On my system (FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE + amanda-2.4.1 package included on CD):

    > -rwsr-xr-x root/wheel

    > And thus ANY user, not just amanda/bin/operator can exploit runtar.
    > Obviously, from the replies I've recieved, this is an error in the package
    > installation, but I assure you that it was entierly automated by
    > /stand/sysinstall and not fooled with by me.

    Amanda strongly advises against the use of pre-compiled packages,
    because there are a couple of options hard-coded at build time, some
    of which have to do with the user and group authorized to make use of
    Amanda.  Nevertheless, many vendors insist in releasing such
    pre-compiled packages, often without documenting the options used to
    configure the executables, and users get immensely confused when they
    find some behavior that contradicts the default specified in the
    documentation :-(

    If you're a security concerned system administrator, you'd better
    build Amanda yourself, so as to be sure to be able to customize all
    the general- and security-related options to your own needs.

    --
    Alexandre Oliva http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il
    oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br,guarana.{org,com}} aoliva@{acm,computer}.org