Re: [Re: Amanda multiple vendor local root compromises]

From: Bruce A. Mah (bmahat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 08:15:13 PST

    --==_Exmh_644385786P

    If memory serves me right, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
    > On Nov  1, 1999, Brock Tellier <btellierat_private> wrote:
    >
    > > On my system (FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE + amanda-2.4.1 package included on CD):
    >
    > > -rwsr-xr-x root/wheel
    >
    > > And thus ANY user, not just amanda/bin/operator can exploit runtar.
    > > Obviously, from the replies I've recieved, this is an error in the package
    > > installation, but I assure you that it was entierly automated by
    > > /stand/sysinstall and not fooled with by me.

    Hmmm.  Just for kicks I deleted my amanda installation and used
    sysinstall to install the package from the 3.3-RELEASE CD-ROM (on a
    machine running FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE + KAME 19991018 snapshot):

    roosevelt:amanda% pwd
    /usr/local/libexec/amanda
    roosevelt:amanda% ls -ls rundump runtar
    4 -r-sr-x---  1 root  operator  3196 Sep 11 04:54 rundump
    4 -r-sr-x---  1 root  operator  4076 Sep 11 04:54 runtar

    I'm not saying the original poster didn't see what he thought he saw,
    but I don't think the blame for this can be laid on the package
    installation or sysinstall either.

    > Amanda strongly advises against the use of pre-compiled packages,
    > because there are a couple of options hard-coded at build time, some
    > of which have to do with the user and group authorized to make use of
    > Amanda.  Nevertheless, many vendors insist in releasing such
    > pre-compiled packages, often without documenting the options used to
    > configure the executables, and users get immensely confused when they
    > find some behavior that contradicts the default specified in the
    > documentation :-(

    In the case of FreeBSD's ports collection (and packages generated from
    it), the exact parameters used to configure amanda can be found in:

    /usr/ports/misc/amanda24/Makefile

    > If you're a security concerned system administrator, you'd better
    > build Amanda yourself, so as to be sure to be able to customize all
    > the general- and security-related options to your own needs.

    Yes.  (Or, alternatively, build using something like the FreeBSD ports
    collection to gain some package management features, but verify the
    configure- and build-time options before installing, which is what I've
    been doing.)

    Cheers,

    Bruce.

    --==_Exmh_644385786P