Re: [Re: Amanda multiple vendor local root compromises]

From: Frank Crawford (frankat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 15:42:48 PST

    On Nov 2,  1:43pm, Robert Watson wrote:
    > Subject: Re: [Re: Amanda multiple vendor local root compromises]
    > It should also be pointed out that the symlink bug described in the
    > original post seems to be a bug in Amanda that is not platform-specific --
    > I haven't seen any further comment on that, only on the package
    > installation.  Has anyone verified that the amanda.debug file is created
    > in such a way that a) it has a predictable name, and b) it follows
    > symlinks?  Really, it should probably go in /var/run (or equiv directory
    > on whatever OS), should be created using O_CREAT and O_EXCL, or should be
    > created using mktemp.  Probably the first option is best.

    I'll make a comment on that.  On our systems all the amanda temp files are now
    created in a directory /tmp/amanda, which has access only to the amanda user
    (i.e. 700).  This is for amanda ver 2.4.1p1, and was compiled locally
    (unfortunately, not by me, so I don't know if there were any special options).
     I know that previous version did create such files in /tmp.

    									Frank

    --
    Frank Crawford		Email:	frankat_private	Postal:	PMB 1
    Site Systems Manager	Phone:	+61 2 9717 3015			Menai NSW 2234

    PGP Fingerprint: (8BB1C821) 06 4F 35 82 1D D6 0E 56  9F AB B8 F7 67 AF 1A 9D