MS Outlook alert : Cuartango Active Setup

From: Elias Levy (aleph1at_private)
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 11:54:05 PST

    Juan Carlos Garcia Cuartango has found the following security vulnerability
    in Microsoft Outlook. This is a highly dangerous issue. It allow a remote
    attacker to email an Outlook user an executable which will be run when
    the user views the attachment without asking them whether to save it or
    execute it. This vulnerability could be used by a virus like Melissa to
    propagate itself across the network. Any user that views the attachment
    would then become infected. Juan has worked with Microsoft to release
    a fix. It should be out today.

    I asked Juan to release full details but because of the potential damage
    he rather keeps example exploits to himself. That being said there is
    enough details here to reverse engineer the vulnerability. If anyone figures
    them post to the list.

    Quick fix: Disable Javascript in Outlook.

    This is BUGTRAQ ID 775. You can view our vulnerability database entry at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/775