Re: MS Outlook alert : Cuartango Active Setup

From: Bronek Kozicki (bronekat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 09 1999 - 04:59:00 PST

    As far as I understand: this security hole will work when user double-click
    an supposedly innocent attachment, expecting that some well-known program
    (e.g. notepad.exe) will open it, is it right? So it will work only when user
    is opening an attachement, am I right?

    Now I'm trying to imagine similar scenario, but working just when email is
    opened - without opening it's attachments. Let's imagine email in HTML
    format, with online pictures. Pictures are saved to disk when email is
    opened to some temp directory, and then displayed in email window (e.g.
    background image). If (and this is the "IF") active script included into
    HTML email would access these files on disk, is it possible to execute the
    same "Active Setup" actions on it? This would allow to execute email
    attachements "masked" as GIF of JPG pictures put in HTML mail, just when
    email is opened. "Good Times" goes real?

    It's just an idea - for Juan Cuartango or Georgi Guminski or anybody else
    willing to verify it ...

    Bronek Kozicki

    PS sorry for my poor English