Insecure handling of NetSol maintainer passwords

From: jlewisat_private
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 17:12:49 PST

    Some months ago I began using the crypt-pw Auth Scheme with my
    Internic/Network Solutions NIC handle because forging mail to
    ineternic.net is just too easy and I don't want my domains messed with.

    On Sep 21, 1999 I notified securityat_private that when doing
    domain updates with Auth Scheme Crypt-PW, if the clear text password
    contains spaces, their processing scripts strip out the password up to the
    first space, and then send off notification emails containing the
    remainder of the password to the other contacts involved with the domain
    being updated.

    I was told my report had been passed on to the developers for a fix.
    About a month went by and the problem had not been fixed, so I asked about
    it again.  On Oct 26, I was told it was still in the hands of the
    developers, and it was recommended that I not use a password containing
    spaces.

    Today, I sent in some updates, and the probem still has not been fixed.

     Jon Lewis *jlewisat_private*|  Spammers will be winnuked or
     System Administrator        |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
     Atlantic Net                |  to get the job done.
    _________http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key__________