Re: BigIP - bigconf.cgi holes

From: Guy Cohen (guyat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 01:30:09 PST

    Hello again,

    First of all i mast apologiz for the corrupt date of my last post.
    now:

    Rob Gilde wrote:
    .|
    .| Guy is discussing an issue that affects older versions of BIG/ip.
    .| As he points out, the risk is from internal users.  In older versions
    .| of BIG/ip, there is effectively only one user and that user has root
    .| privileges.  That user could execute commands as root through a shell
    .| escape in our web-based user interface.
    .|
    .| As of Version 2.1, this is no longer possible.  The current version
    .| of BIG/ip is 2.1.2.  The software update is available for free over
    .| the net to all customers with support contracts.
    .|

    unfortunately This effects version 2.1.2 too.
    I have added (using the html interface) user with READ-ONLY access, logged
    in as this user and by executing
    'bigconf.cgi?command=view_textfile&file=/etc/master.passwd&filters=;' I was
    able to see the the encrypted passwords in /etc/master.passwd witch is for
    root eyes only.

    --
    Guy Cohen.