Re: IE4/5 "file://" buffer overflow

From: Mikael Olsson (mikael.olssonat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 09 1999 - 12:28:07 PST

    Hi! A couple of questions....

    First of all, does this happen just by viewing the page, or do
    you have to click the link?

    If you have to click the link to get it to work, one might
    want to look into using:

    1. Javascript redirect (document.location="file://AAAAA...")
    2. Meta refresh tags
    3. DownloadBehaviour?
    4. Server Redirects    (Location: file:/AAAAA...);

    Having an exploit go off by clicking on a file:// link is bad in
    and of itself. Having it go off just by viewing the page/email that
    contains the file:// link is the "Good Times"/"Win a vacation" virus
    hoax come true.

    On a side note:
    The server redirect thing would not provide direct execution,
    but could be used to to hide the fact that the link you're about
    to click is suspicious.

    Yum :-P

    /Mike

    --
    Mikael Olsson, EnterNet Sweden AB, Box 393, S-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK
    Phone: +46-(0)660-105 50           Fax: +46-(0)660-122 50