Re: Oracle 8 root exploit

From: Alan Olsen (alanat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 15:19:11 PST

    On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Chris Calabrese wrote:

    > I just tested some machines both with and without
    > Oracle's patch for the bug related to trusting
    > $ORACLE_HOME when calling dbsnmp.
    >
    > Good news.  The patch does indeed address the bug
    > related to using sym-links from ./dbsnmpc.log and
    > ./dbsnmpw.log to over-write root-owned files that
    > Brock Teller reported on the other day.
    >
    > However, Intelligent Agent 8.1.5 (the version Brock
    > reported on) does not have a patch available for it.
    > This is pretty strange considering that there's a
    > patch for 8.0.5 and that other 8.0.6 and 8.1.x
    > releases don't have the vulnerability.

    Are there patches for earlier versions of Oracle?  (Specifically 7.3.4.)
    The exploit works on that version as well.

    alan@ctrl-alt-del.com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
    Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
        "In the future, everything will have its 15 minutes of blame."