Buffer Overflow Survey Paper

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 22 1999 - 18:39:53 PST

    Six weeks ago, I asked Bugtraq for responses on the question of whether
    buffer overflows dominate the area of security vulnerabilities as part
    of a paper I was writing.  Numerous people asked me to post results when
    I'm done.

    On the narrow question:  approximately 2/3 of respondants thought that
    buffer overflows do indeed dominate the problem of security
    vulnerabilities.  The remaining 1/3 thought that mis-configuration was
    the dominant problem.  I respect both views, but think that
    "misconfiguration" is not really a software problem, it's an operational
    problem.  Thus, one could say that buffer overflows are the leading
    cause of software vulnerabilities, and misconfiguration is the leading
    operational problem.  Which problem dominates overall vulnerability is
    unclear.

    On the broader question:  the paper is complete.  It will appear at the
    DARPA Information Survivability Expo (
    http://schafercorp-ballston.com/discex/ ) and will also appear as an
    invited talk at SANS 2000 (
    http://www.sans.org/newlook/events/sans2000.htm ).  This paper
    categorizes the various kinds of buffer overflow attacks, the various
    kinds of defensive measure that can be employed, and shows which
    defenses are effective against which attacks.

    The paper itself is available for download here:
    http://immunix.org/StackGuard/discex00.pdf

    Crispin
    -----
    Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com