Re: local users can panic linux kernel (was: SuSE syslogd

From: Alan Cox (alanat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 22 1999 - 13:32:38 PST

    > It isn't clear for me what can be done to protect the whole system inside
    > syslogd.  Does anybody knows what SuSE really changed?
    > Their source package isn't very helpful.

    There were two notable problems

    1.	Syslogd defaulted to stream sockets which means you have resource
    	control problems - in fact Dan Bernstein posted some very good stuff
    	about that issue about a year ago

    2.	The client code decided it would be a good idea to wait - ie do a
    	blocking connect. Unfortunate it someone ate all the syslog handles

    With a datagram system it comes down to losing messages under load. I think that
    is about as good as you can get.

    Alan