Oracle 8i questions

From: Brock Tellier (btellierat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 14:37:43 PST

    After talking to the people in Oracle's security group, I've realized that it
    is impossible to get an answer regarding what programs in particular are still
    setuid-anything/setgid-anything in the latest versions of Oracle with all the
    supported patches installed.  When I take a look at the Oracle-provided
    remove-suid-bits-script, I notice:

    EXECS_NOT_TO_UNSET="oracle dbsnmp"

    Which makes it so that my exploit (for dbsnmp) and all others involving dbsnmp
    will still work.  What do the newer patches do to prevent the problems of old?
     From what I've read on the Oracle support page, the "oracle" program MUST be
    setuid-oracle if it is in a multi-user environment, and doesn't that have just
    as many file-access problems as dbsnmp?

    Brock Tellier
    UNIX Systems Administrator
    Organic Inc. www.organic.com