Re: Oracle 8i questions

From: Martin.Wunderliat_private
Date: Sun Nov 28 1999 - 20:13:23 PST

    Hi,

    >EXECS_NOT_TO_UNSET="oracle dbsnmp"
    >From what I've read on the Oracle support page, the "oracle" program MUST be
    >setuid-oracle if it is in a multi-user environment

    No, it does not need to. If you connect through sqlnet (that is: a listener
    running as oracle which starts the oracle
    binary), no sgid/suid needs to be set. But if you then try to connect directly
    by issueing sqlplus username/password, it will fail with 'Oracle not
    available'. The latter is mostly not really a problem.

    Cheers
    Martin

    --
    Martin Wunderli, Grundstrasse 11, 8048 Zuerich, Tel:   +41  1 400 21 71