Re: NT WinLogon VM contains plaintext password visible in admin

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 11:12:23 PST

    At 08:40 AM 12/7/99 -0600, Robert Horvick wrote:
    >While this does require admin rights for this to work the implications of
    >social engineering or an exploit to run after compromising the admin account
    >are obvious.

    If you can get to be admin, why not just install a keyboard sniffer, and
    get everything that comes into the console?  It is still a good idea to fix
    the problem, but if I can get an admin-level user to run a trojan, or
    otherwise compromise a local admin account, the number of ways to hack any
    subsequent user are bounded only by one's imagination.  As a friend used to
    say, "the mind boggles at the possibilities" <g>.

    I've got an overall problem with 'exploits' that require admin access to
    run - kind of like worrying about the windows being locked when the front
    door has been successfully hit with the crowbar attack.  If you can get to
    be admin, you can modify the OS, and from there, you can do anything to any
    user.

    David LeBlanc
    dleblancat_private