FTP DoS - PORT and PASV effected.

From: Darren Reed (avalonat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 13:19:41 PST

    In some mail from Renaud Deraison, sie said:

    > On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Darren Reed wrote:
    >
    > > Who has more free file descriptors & network ports, you or the ftp server ?
    >

    > The attack you are describing is not new - this is just a PASV attack,
    > which has been around for years.
    >
    > Hopefully, this problem is now solved.
    [...]

    btw, a similar sort of attack can be mounted using the PORT command.
    You just need to setup a local listener, etc, or get the ftp server
    to try connect to lots of network 10 sites in < 75 seconds before
    TCP connect's start timing out.  I'll leave that as an exercise for
    the reader - a correct fix for the PASV problem should fix this one
    as well (and the exploit is almost the same too).

    Darren