Re: NT WinLogon VM contains plaintext password visible in admin

From: .rain.forest.puppy. (rfpat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 21:14:09 PST

    David LeBlanc wrote:

    > I've got an overall problem with 'exploits' that require admin access to
    > run - kind of like worrying about the windows being locked when the
    > front door has been successfully hit with the crowbar attack.  If you
    > can get to be admin, you can modify the OS, and from there, you can do
    > anything to any user.

    I agree with David, in that exploits the require admin/root to gain
    admin/root are pointless.  If you can get the admin to put +s on bash,
    well, yes...the system is compromised.

    HOWEVER, this particular problem is interesting.  Let me detail a
    situation in which I can use it to my advantage:

    I use an exploit to gain access to the box as administrator rights,
    or I get the admin to run something, whatever.  I'm not concerned about
    'how', but moreso that it did happen.  I now have two routes to take:

    1. Grab the SAM, and spend the next 1526 years cracking it on my 486.
    Bummer if they use syskey.

    2. Use the above vulnerability to immediately get the plaintext
    administrators password.  I then continute to compromise other boxes in
    the domain.  As a consultant, time is money.  As a hacker, the more time
    it takes, the more chances of getting caught.  Being given the plaintext
    password, regardless of being admin, is a no-brainer if I don't already
    have it.

    So, to further your analogy:

    > I've got an overall problem with 'exploits' that require admin access to
    > run - kind of like worrying about the windows being locked when the
    > front door has been successfully hit with the crowbar attack.  If you

    It's akin to grabbing the house keys once inside--no more need for the
    cumbersome crowbar.

    And retrieving the plaintext password is much more stealthy than
    modification of the OS, installation of trojans, etc.  Assuming the tracks
    are covered and there's no evidence of breakin, there is no evidence that
    the admin password has floated out.

    Just a different point of view,
    .rain.forest.puppy.