Re: Local / Remote D.o.S Attack in War FTP Daemon 1.70

From: Tim (yardleyat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 15 1999 - 07:16:01 PST

    Maybe I am missing something, but after looking at the ASM code that ussr
    provided, it seems as if they are just doing a standard "connection
    flood".  I see absolutely nothing significant or specific to WarFTPD
    here.  The same type of attack would affect any number of FTP servers when
    done from a fast enough link.  In other words, the good ole' hose + a tiny
    fragment of code to actually send a username/pass is all that is needed to
    duplicate this.

    The only denial of service I see here is a "max connections" problem.  This
    would be harder to combat if the attack cam from random ip's... but that is
    not the case in this instance.  So, did I miss something in this case?

    /tmy

    At 06:41 PM 12/14/1999, Ussr Labs wrote:
    >Strange, no body report this problem only you :(, the war ftp deamnon stop
    >responding wen reseive lots of incomming connections, the porgram no CRASH
    >just only stop responding.
    >
    >u n d e r g r o u n d  s e c u r i t y  s y s t e m s  r e s e a r c h
    >http://www.ussrback.com

    -- Diving into infinity my consciousness expands in inverse
        proportion to my distance from singularity