Re: Reinventing the wheel (aka "Decoding Netscape Mail passwords")

From: John Viega (Johnat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 10:00:33 PST

    Hopefully my last email answered your questions, but I will summarize
    the relevant points if not:

    1) The post you mentioned, their crack doesn't work on recent versions
    of Windows Netscape, which is what we broke.  These versions use a
    much more complex algorithm, which is still very lame.

    2) We were unaware of the previous work, and Netscape didn't say "hey,
    someone did this before" when we notified them.  In fact, they
    definitely reacted as if they knew the problem was there, but hoped no
    one would ever bother to exploit it.

    John