Re: The money: protocol in Internet Explorer

From: David Litchfield (mnemonixat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 13:53:32 PST

    >    - If remote attacks are possible, how can the money:
    >      protocol be turned off in Web pages and Email
    >      messages, but still have Microsoft Money work
    >      properly?

    In HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT any immediate subkey (eg HKCR\callto) that has a "URL
    Protocol" value can be launched from IE. Removing this value disables this
    feature. To demonstrate:

    Create an HTML file and add an anchor <A HREF="news://abc">here</A> - save
    it then open it in IE.
    Click on "here" and Outlook should open. Close it.
    Open regedit and navigate to HKCR\news
    Delete the URL Protocol value in the left hand pane.
    Click on "here" and an error message should appear.
    click on "here". Outlook express should open as normal again.

    So as far as disabling the functionality of being able to launch MS Money
    from IE is concerned remove the URL protocol value from its registry entry.

    On a side note on some NT systems the "shell" registry key has a URL
    protocol value and the open command uses explorer. I haven't had the time to
    research this specific issue but being able to play with explorer.exe
    remotely (froma web page or e-mail) may have some bad implications (but then
    again, maybe not). Anyone who cares to look into this issue it would be
    interesting to hear if you find anything.

    Cheers,
    David Litchfield
    http://www.cerberus-infosec.co.uk