Re: Various Errors in Slackware

From: Alan Cox (alanat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 11:22:16 PST

    > I would check with Alan on the SYN cookies, iirc, there is a good reason why
    > SYN cookies are not turned on by default.  In 2.3.x it is not turned on by
    > default in the kernel compile and again must be explicitly enabled in /proc
    > after adding it to the kernel.

    SYN cookies don't default to on purely because they are strictly not "the
    standard". I don't actually know of anything they upset. In fact its
    normally standards compliant stuff that causes problems

    	SACK	-	with buggy VJ compressors
    	PAWS	-	with broken load balancers
    MTU discovery	-	with assholes who block all ICMP out and in (some
    			very big names in the business meet this criteria btw)

    RST cookies were also in Linux 2.0, those did cause problems with some setups
    and were dropped

    > I imagine the packet forwarding is on by default in the interest of least
    > surprise from slackware.  I.e. why you can't pass packets across the machine

    Least suprise until you accidentally have a router you didnt expect. The
    RFC1122 rules are for a very good reason.

    RP filter set to one should be fine, that will just ignore packets externally
    originated from your own interface addresses. Such packets are generally sent
    only by readers of this list and others like it .

    Alan