Re: Warning to Bugtraq posters.

From: Richard M. Smith (smithsat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 12:59:17 PST

    Hi Steven,

    Okay, this is probably the NewApt worm/trojan/virus.  Here are
    some descriptions of it:

       Trend Micro Description
       http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/security/sa121499.htm

       NAI Avert Description
       http://vil.nai.com/vil/wm10475.asp

       Symantec Description
       http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/worm.newapt.html

       F-Secure Description
       http://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/newapt.htm

    The NTBugTraq mailing list had the same problem last week.
    All it takes is one person on a mailing list to get infected,
    then it sends itself off to people who have posted messages to
    the list.  For example, I got a WinApt message from Italy that was a
    reply to a message I posted in August to NTBugTraq.

    An interesting side note, NewApt contains an IP address
    for a Microsoft Web server that shows the www.microsoft.com
    homepage.  Not sure what the purpose of this address is
    in the code.

    Richard