Re-release of Microsoft Security Bulletin MS99-046

From: Microsoft Product Security (secnotifat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 16:23:06 PST

    The following is a Security  Bulletin from the Microsoft Product Security
    Notification Service.

    Please do not  reply to this message,  as it was sent  from an unattended
    mailbox.
                        ********************************

    Re-release of Microsoft Security Bulletin MS99-046

    In November, we withdrew a previously released patch that improved the
    randomness of TCP initial sequence numbers in Windows NT 4.0.  The patch was
    withdrawn because it contained the same regression error that was present in
    Windows NT 4.0 SP6.  We have eliminated the regression error and re-released
    the patch.  The security bulletin has been updated and is available at
    http://www.microsoft.com/Security/Bulletins/ms99-046.asp; the FAQ also has
    been updated and is available at
    http://www.microsoft.com/Security/Bulletins/ms99-046faq.asp.

    All versions of the original patch were affected by the regression error,
    although the error only manifested itself in certain situations.  When
    applying the new patch, it's not necessary to uninstall the original patch
    first.  Just install the patch as normal.  Here's how to determine which
    patch to apply:
     - If you are running Windows NT 4.0 SP4 or SP5 on an Intel machine, go
       to http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/Release.asp?ReleaseID=16763 and
       select q243835sp5i.exe.
     - If you are running Windows NT 4.0 SP6 on an Intel machine, go to
       http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/Release.asp?ReleaseID=16764 and
       select q243835i.exe.
     - If you are running Windows NT 4.0 SP4 or SP5 on an Alpha machine, go
       to http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/Release.asp?ReleaseID=16763 and
       select q243835sp5a.exe.
     - If you are running Windows NT 4.0 SP6 on an Alpha machine, go
       to http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/Release.asp?ReleaseID=16764 and
       select q243835a.exe.

    We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused by the regression error, and
    will do our best to prevent similar problems in the future.  Regards,

    The Microsoft Security Response Team