Re: BUG? Non-root user can configure traffic shaper (2.2.13) (fwd)

From: Yuri Kuzmenko (yuriat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 27 1999 - 11:31:15 PST

    Hi!

    Non-root users can change the SPEED of shaped interface. I.e., usual user
    can run "shapecfg speed shaper0 XXX" with success result. In my case
    non-root user increases speed of shaped interface to my proxy server. Yep,
    NO ANY suid's on `which shapecfg`. It's has 0755 permission.

    All if this means that traffic shaper in insecure because can be
    configured by any user with shell account.

    Second bug is this:

    Documentation/networking/shaper.txt:
    o	The shaper must be a module

    But traffic shaper in "make menuconfig" can be compiled into kernel.
    So, shaper which compiled into kernel simple not work. Next, I have
    compiled shaper module "on fly" and insmod it (shaper  compiled into
    kernel at this moment). Then I configure shaped interface and kernel
    failed in "swapper" process after first use of this interface (simple
    ping).

    Maybe second bug is not a shaper issue, but "make menuconfig" should be
    fixed.

    // Yuri Kuzmenko, system administrator
    // LIGA ONLINE - http://www.liga.kiev.ua