Re: Announcement: Solaris loadable kernel module backdoor

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragenat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 27 1999 - 12:29:58 PST

    Ralf-P. Weinmann writes:
    > However I'd like to point out that you could add call a routine to
    > compute the MD5 or SHA-1 hash of the data copied with copy_from_user()
    > in sys_init_module() and reject it if it doesn't match a precomputed
    > value (which has to be securely stored somewhere in kernel space for
    > each and every module that the is allowed to be loaded).

    However I'd like to point out that if modprobe is actually resolving
    unresolved symbols in the module before it loads it, the MD5 or SHA-1
    won't match, which is the case with Linux, according to a previous post
    on this thread.

    However I'd like to point out that you wouldn't win anything even if it
    worked, without removing the numerous other ways root can subvert the
    running kernel --- or, equivalently, all running processes (e.g.  with
    ptrace).

    --
    <kragenat_private>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
    The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!