Local / Remote D.o.S Attack in IMail IMONITOR Server for WinNT

From: Ussr Labs (labsat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 01:07:15 PST

    Local / Remote D.o.S Attack in IMail IMONITOR Server for WinNT
    Version 5.08

    USSR Advisory Code:   USSR-2000030

    Release Date:
    January 05, 2000

    Systems Affected:
    IMail IMONITOR (PORT 8181) Server for WinNT Version 5.08 and maybe
    other versions.
    IMail Server for WinNT Version 6.0 is not public, so I can't test it
    :(, anyway, I think it's vulnerable.

    About The Software:
    Mail Server is the choice of Business, Schools, and Service
    Providers. Unlike Microsoft Exchange and Lotus Notes, which are
    costly to deploy and cumbersome to administer, IMail Server is easy
    to install and easy to manage. It has a fixed cost and is scalable to
    thousands of users per server.

    THE PROBLEM

    UssrLabs found a bug, in the Imail Imonitor Service, Vulneravility is
    in a Cgi-Script (status.cgi), this Script checks if the Server
    Services is
    runing (and it spends too much Cpu in this operation we might add),
    if you execute the status.cgi, lots of times in a short time the
    Imail Imonitor will
    crash with an "Invalid Memory Address", and our friend DrWatson tells
    us
    to close the program :).

    Example:
    Open In Internet Explorer: http://ServerIp:8181/status.cgi
    And you will See something like this.

    |---------------------------------|
    |Service    | Status    |
    |SMTP       | UP         |
    |POP3       | UP          |
    |DNS         | UP          |
    |WEB        | UP          |
    |TELNET   | UP          |
    |FTP          | UP          |
    |03:33:00  | 03:32:00 |
    |________|________|
              refresh

    if you Run the Status.cgi lots of times, the server will crash.

    Binary or source for this Exploit:

    http://www.ussrback.com/

    Do you do the w00w00?
    This advisory also acts as part of w00giving. This is another
    contribution to w00giving for all you w00nderful people out there.
    You do know what w00giving is don't you?
    http://www.w00w00.org/advisories.html

    Vendor Status:
    Informed, tracking number for this inquiry is IMS2000010500000096.

    Vendor   Url: http://www.ipswitch.com
    Program Url: http://www.ipswitch.com/Products/IMail_Server/index.asp

    Credit: USSRLABS

    SOLUTION
    Noting yet :(

    Greetings:
    Eeye, Attrition, w00w00, beavuh, Rhino9, ADM, L0pht, HNN,
    Technotronic and
    Wiretrip.

    u n d e r g r o u n d  s e c u r i t y  s y s t e m s  r e s e a r c
    http://www.ussrback.com