CuteFTP saved password 'encryption' weakness

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 01:39:02 PST

    Another case of very weak 'protection' of secrets in Win32 network
    client software...

    I came across the following while investigating why the Melissa macro
    virus variant W97M/Melissa.M was interested in stealing a file
    called 'tree.dat' from victim machines.

    That file is the CuteFTP v1.x and v2.x 'Site Manager' data file,
    recording site names, addresses, site preferences, firewall
    information and (optionally) username and password data.  A quick
    look at a sample tree.dat after installing CuteFTP suggested the
    passwords were 'encrypted' in a very weak manner.  A few moments
    digging revealed that 'encrypted' is too strong a term -- the stored
    value was the original permuted by the simple expedient of adding
    48h to the ASCII value of each character.  The file has a fairly
    simple binary structure, which a few more minutes work would easily
    reverse but the usernames and 'encrypted' passwords are easily
    obtained with a hex file editor.

    This means that stealing of tree.dat not only allows the thief access
    via CuteFTP to any 'secrets' that may be recorded in that file, but
    they can also be easily decoded for other uses.  The v3.x releases of
    CuteFTP store this data in smdata.dat (the virus does not look for
    that file) but it has a very similar appearing structure to tree.dat
    and uses the same 'encryption' of stored passwords.

    Briefly looking further, I note the pre-v3.0 release of CuteFTP's INI
    file includes the plaintext username and password for the default
    firewall configuration (if one is set).  This same data is stored in
    HKCU\Software\GlobalSCAPE\CuteFTP 3.0\CuteFTP (also in plain text) in
    version 3.56 (tested), and from the key name presumably all other
    v3.x releases.

    NT users of CuteFTP would be advised to update to a v3.x release and
    apply adequate security to the DAT file and the registry key
    mentioned (and maybe its siblings -- check for yourself as I only
    found this because I was testing something unrelated to my normal
    concerns), particularly in multiple-user workstation situations.
    Presumably users of other OSes supported by CuteFTP don't care too
    much about security anyway so this is not an issue for them...

    A quick check of the CuteFTP Help files failed to find any mantion of
    the inherent insecurity in the chosen mechanisms for storing these
    user details.

    Regards,

    Nick FitzGerald