Re: JS problem in NS4.5 - known?

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 18:14:08 PST

    Nick Phillips wrote:

    > Interestingly enough, when I just read Edwin Gonzalez' message (re: JS
    > and Hotmail) in
    > Messenger 4.5 (the most recent available version under Debian "slink"),
    > I got a
    > Javascript alert box appear.
    >
    > This despite the fact that according to my preferences, javascript is
    > turned off for
    > Mail & News. I've tested it again with javascript allegedly entirely
    > disabled, and it
    > still pops up the alert.

    This is a known problem with Netscape 4.5:  the "disable javascript"
    button didn't really work.  If you ever enabled javascript, it could never
    be disabled through the GUI.

    To really disable javascript, you had to go to an older Netscape, disable
    javascript, and then copy the preferencs.js file into your NS 4.5
    ~/.netscape directory.  Or you could manually edit
    ~/.netscape/preferences.js.

    Upgrading to a later version of Netscape fixed this problem.  I don't
    recall which version fixed the problem, but 4.7 certainly does not have
    this problem.

    Crispin
    -----
    Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com