Re: Anyone can take over virtually any domain on the net...

From: Chris Adams (cmadamsat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 11:09:04 PST

    Once upon a time, Thomas Reinke <reinke@E-SOFTINC.COM> said:
    > BTW, Network Solution's instructions on changing the
    > scheme to a userid and password based system doesn't
    > work very well. We've attempted on several occasions
    > to do this with no luck...thereby forcing on us the guardian
    > scheme :(

    I've setup contacts with CRYPT-PW authentication, and they ignore it.
    We had a domain hijacked a month or two ago (someone changed the
    contacts and the DNS servers), and they just forged the email headers as
    coming from the old technical contact.  That contact had CRYPT-PW
    authentication setup, but NetSol processed the change anyway with just
    the mail From: header matching.  It then took them over 24 hours from
    when we notified them to fix it (even though they reload the zone files
    twice daily).

    However, since AFAIK there is no way to move a domain from one registrar
    to another (without letting it expire and risking losing it), they still
    have en effective monopoly on all existing domain names that are
    registered with them.
    --
    Chris Adams <cmadamsat_private>
    Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Information Services