Re: Anyone can take over virtually any domain on the net...

From: Jeffrey Paul (sneakat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 11:07:05 PST

    This isn't particularly new, as anyone who doesn't use Guardian to
    protect their handle/contact information can have their data changed.
    For instance, a while back my email address changed and I was able to
    change the email address of my handle without being required to
    receive email at the previous address.  The handle is administrative
    contact for a number of domains, and once the email address is
    changed there's nothing stopping anyone from starting requests to
    change DNS servers for any/all of the domains then acknowledging them
    from the new changed email address.  For all of their faults though,
    netsol has always strongly recommended the use of one of the guardian
    methods to protect against this (they offer use of a crypted
    password, or PGP signed mail).

    My point is, it *does* have a piece of unique data in the
    confirmation request.  But changing the email at which the
    confirmation request is sent is a trivial matter if the contact
    doesn't protect modification some way.

    Follows is a mail from netsol from a month or two ago where I
    transferred a domain to my box from a hosting service.

    --begin example
    ***************** Please DO NOT REMOVE Version Number *****************

    Notify Version Number: 2.0

    ************** Please see attached detailed instructions **************