Re: Anyone can take over virtually any domain on the net...

From: Ryan Russell (Ryan.Russellat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 11:22:20 PST

    >Step 1: Send a spoofed email to Network solutions requesting
    >        a DNS change to your own DNS server.
    >
    >Step 2: Wait for a short while (the amount of time it normally
    >        takes Network Solutions to send out a confirmation
    >        email request)
    >
    >Step 3: Send a second spoofed email confirming the request.
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >Doesn't take too much rocket science to point out that other
    >than the obvious flaws in insecure email, the fact that
    >confirmations to make domain changes do not carry any
    >sort of tracking number make it possible for spoofed email
    >to confirm illegitimate requests.  I think it might be
    >appropriate for Network Solutions to add at least THAT
    >much reliability into their confirmation scheme so that
    >that kind of change couldn't occur in the future...

    Every time I've requested a change, the confirmation comes
    back with a bracketed request number in the header, which
    consists of a date and a number.  For example, last time I changed
    sybase.com, this was the title:

    [NIC-990901.4013] Modify Registration SYBASE.COM

    I've always assumed that this number was required, and
    constitutes the "tracking number" you mention.  Admittedly,
    I haven't tried otherwise.

    I will say that I have noticed that these numbers used to be
    fairly sequential... I've done several changes in a row before.
    This is the same problem as TCP sequence prediction, only
    easier.

    So, if you've found some new wrinkle, I'm not seeing it in
    your e-mail... has something changed at NSI?

    Also, of course, if you mail can be stolen or sniffed, this
    is trivial.

    On the same topic... many other NICs are not quite as careful..
    I've taken over various sybase.xx domains that my employees
    had registered, using dumb e-mail addresses that don't exist
    anymore.  Often, this only took one e-mail, and I think many
    registrars took my request on faith because it came from
    a sybase.com address, and because I'm the contact on the
    main sybase.com domain.

                             Ryan