Re: ICQ Buffer Overflow Exploit

From: Michael DeSimone (michaelat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 15:49:56 PST

    I was sort of able to duplicate the buffer over flow. The following is the
    steps I took and the results:

    Copy the original URL from the original notice (sites.yahoo etc...) to
    include the binary exclamation marks et. all.

    Downloaded complied assembly code for a little cube generator and open in
    UE32.

    Paste in the URL etc.

    Copy all of it and paste it into the URL section of ICQ's send a web
    address.

    Con my wife into opening the URL.

    Listen to her bitch at me for crashing her computer.

    Doing this did not execute the binary code that was placed at the end of the
    URL but did cause an unwanted, adverse reaction from the OS Win 98 Release1.
    That resulted in a reboot.

    I have not had a chance to witness 1st hand what happened on her box but
    from her description I believe it at least crashed the TCP/IP stack
    (surprise) and some memory issues as well.

    I will have a chance to further investigate tonight and will follow up.

    Michael DeSimone
    Computer Stuff