Re: XML in IE 5.0

From: Meilicke, Scott (scott.meilickeat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 11:18:08 PST

    ------_=_NextPart_001_01BF61E8.C12539D4

    I'm running Win2K now, and the "run-as" command works fairly well.  For most
    programs you have to enable this feature through the properties of a
    shortcut or directly on the properties of the exe.  I log on as a
    non-privileged user, then when needed, issue a "run-as" command (right
    click), and run a process as a different user, in my case an admin account.
    The only problem is that you cannot run the shell in different user
    contexts.  For example, if I have a privileged command window open, and a
    non-privileged explorer window open, I obvious cannot access restricted
    areas with explorer, but I can with the command prompt.  However, if I issue
    a "start ." command from the command prompt, the resulting explorer window
    will revert back to a non privileged user.  Not so good, but better than
    NT4, especially with IE5 (shiver...).

    NT4 had a similar command in the resource kit, but more difficult to use,
    called su.exe (surprise surprise).   It was basically more pain than it was
    worth in my case.  I don't think it's a terminal server offshoot, but
    perhaps both capabilities, terminal server and su.exe are derived from the
    same hacks in NT.

    As far as user preferences, they are handled just as UNIX would as far as I
    can tell.  In unix, you can su in a shell and the environment is that of
    root, not the non priv user.  Same in NT.  I can't comment on disk cache or
    other process, however.

    Scott