Re: XML in IE 5.0

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 22:53:47 PST

    At 12:03 PM 1/17/00 -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
    >On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Ryan Russell wrote:
    >> For Windows users, The MS guys gave an interesting talk at the NTBugtraq
    >> Canada Day Party at Russ' house last year.  NT2000 will include a
    feature that
    >> is similar to su on unix, which will allow one to have different windows
    open
    >> as different users on the same box... I believe it's an extension of the
    >> terminal server concept.  Anyway, once folks get NT2000, they should really
    >> consider running their browsers as locked-down, non-priveledged users.

    >Except that browsers have exchanges with the outside world that carry
    >personalization with it, so at some level the browser needs to be tied
    >with an identity, and compromising that identity will always be a concern.

    This would depend on your environment.  At work, there are a lot of things
    that I access with a web browser that depend on my account credentials to
    access.  In that environment, changing to a different user wouldn't help
    much.  I could have an icon for the regular browser, and another that runs
    as me - that isn't too complicated.  At home, I don't access anything based
    on my user credentials using a browser, so it would be easy for me to
    always run the browser under a highly restricted account.

    >But that's another topic; just wanted to prove there's no easy solution,
    >but it's good to see MS playing catchup with Unix on this, even if it has
    >been 15-20 years.

    There's yet another solution that might be able to give you the best of
    both worlds - there is such a thing as a restricted user token under Win2k
    - you copy your token, strip it of the rights and groups that you want to
    go away (this is permanent), then create a process using the stripped
    token.  Now you're still running it as you, but you've shed any privileged
    groups, and shed any rights that you don't want your browser to have.

    David LeBlanc
    dleblancat_private