Re: Misleading sense of security in Netscape

From: Jefferson Ogata (jogataat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 11:32:36 PST

    Craig Ruefenacht wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Over the last week I've been playing around with the Netscape
    > Communicator package, version 4.7, on multiple Microsoft Windows
    > platforms, including Windows95, Windows98, WindowsNT workstation, and
    > Windows2000 Server Release Candidate #2.  I have discovered a couple of
    > things with a utility that comes with the Netscape Communicator package
    > which could lead a user into a false sence of security while reading
    > email.
    >
    > I have tested the issues I describe in this email on Windows95,
    > Windows98, WindowsNT 4.0 workstation, and Windows2000 Server Release
    > Candidate 2, using Netscape Communicator 4.7, 128-bit encryption (US
    > strong encryption version), using both already existing and newly
    > created Windows users on the Windows box.  I have reported the issues
    > described in this email to Netscape a few days ago but haven't heard
    > back from them yet.
    >
    > First, some history...
    >
    > It is well known throughout the Internet that the two most common
    > protocols for reading email, POP3 (port 110) and IMAP (port 143), are
    > sent in the clear over the network.  When users use either of these
    > protocols to read email, they send their email server username and
    > password in the clear over the network.  A malicious person with access
    > to the network where this traffic flows could sniff that network and
    > obtain the email username and password of unsuspecting users.  Netscape
    > Messenger is one such email client that lets users use POP3 and IMAP to
    > read email.
    >
    > To improve security and prevent email server usernames and passwords
    > from going over the Internet as clear text, there is built-in support
    > for using the IMAP protocol over a SSL channel.  When using this setup,
    > information that travels on the Internet from the user's computer to the
    > email server is encrypted.  A malicious person would have a hard time
    > getting the email username and password of users using this setup.  IMAP
    > over SSL uses port 993, and it requires that, on the server end, you use
    > a SSL wrapper like stunnel or SSLwrap around the IMAP server to handle
    > the SSL connection on the server's end.  Netscape Messenger, Microsoft
    > Outlook and Outlook Express (and probably others) support the IMAP over
    > SSL setup.
    >
    > Now the things I've discovered...
    >
    > Netscape Communicator comes with a utility called "Netscape Mail
    > Notification".  The binary is named nsnotify.exe.  This utility program,
    > when run, places a small icon in the shape of an envelope on the taskbar
    > of Windows95/98/NT/2000.  This utility will go out at specified time
    > intervals to the email server, log into the email server, and check to
    > see if any new email has arrived for the user.  If new email is
    > detected, a small red flag is animated on top of the envelope icon to
    > visually let the user know that new email is waiting to be read.  You
> [...]

    With Netscape talking IMAP to the washington.edu daemon, the username/password
    are definitely not sent in the clear -- the server issues a pair of challenges.
    Perhaps other daemons don't support challenge authentication...? It's been a
    long time since I looked at the IMAP RFC, but I seem to recall that IMAP
    supports multiple authentication mechanisms.

    --
    Jefferson Ogata <jogataat_private> National Oceanographic Data Center
    You can't step into the same river twice. -- Herakleitos