Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS00-005)

From: Pauli Ojanpera (pauli_ojanperaat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 02:00:00 PST

    Open letter to microsucks.

    >From: Microsoft Product Security <secnotifat_private>
    >To: BUGTRAQat_private
    >Subject: Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS00-005)
    >Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 16:49:11 -0800

    They failed to mention me!

    and btw it is possible to execute arbitrary code by
    abusing the fact that one can control ECX also. At
    least on Win98.

    "This means that an attacker who wanted to run arbitrary code would need to
    write a program whose machine language consisted entirely of lower-case
    alphanumeric data. Microsoft engineers have thoroughly studied this aspect
    of the vulnerability, and we believe that this is not feasible."

    So an attacker does just that. Push and pop instructions have
    nice opcodes. Check Securityfocus database... I made a file
    which when opened by double clicking runs an eternal loop.
    Trace that.. Works in Win98 at least. But not limited to.
    No warranty. Check it. Use your brain.

    If Microsucks wants users to audit their shit they should
    at least give the credit to whom the credit is due. Fix
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/MS00-005faq.asp
    credits also.

    thanks