Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS00-005)

From: Brock Tellier (btellierat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 10:18:05 PST

    Pauli Ojanpera <pauli_ojanperaat_private> wrote:

    > They failed to mention me!
    >
    > If Microsucks wants users to audit their shit they should
    > at least give the credit to whom the credit is due. Fix
    > http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/MS00-005faq.asp
    > credits also.

    This seems to be the trend among bloated, closed-source OS's like Microsoft's
    Windows and, in my case, SCO's UnixWare/OpenServer.  Although the hackers on
    Bugtraq have done more to help their products than their entire team of
    well-paid engineers, we recieve absolutely no credit. Credit shouldn't be
    given in order to inflate egos, but instead to point out to those who aren't
    on the mailing list that Microsoft did not find the hole in question, that the
    real work was done by someone else.  Simply because MS/SCO doesn't post source
    code in their own advisories doesn't mean they shouldn't have to give credit.
    Whatever happened to intellectual property?  By posting our ideas without due
    credit, they are stealing our work and degrading our efforts.

    Meanwhile, kudos to some of the vendors who've attempted to do the right
    thing.  From personal experience, SuSE and FreeBSD come to mind.

    Brock Tellier
    UNIX Systems Administrator
    Chicago, IL, USA
    btellierat_private