Re: problem with SNMPc

From: Stefan Schneider (stefan.schneiderat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 13:45:05 PST

    Same thing with older (4.2 and 4.3) versions, autodiscovery is turned on by
    default and in some cases it can hang systems with non fully compliant SNMP
    agents (As we discovered when it hung some Wireless Acess Points in our
    network), as well as the system (The autodiscovery feature is a real resource
    hog) specially if you also run MRTG on the same machine.

    Older versions doesn't ask for a seed router but start by taking the default
    route and querying the known networks (default and internal) and then running an
    incremental scans of all IP blocks including the Private Class A,B and C blocks.

    The product is nice and offers a lot of functionality but the autodiscovery
    process is deffinitely a minus (OpenView behaves better).