Re: Trusted process on an untrusted machine?

From: Pavel Machek (pavelat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 10:03:39 PST

    Hi!

    > > > Some of ways an attacker could bypass this protection:
    > > >     Solution:  There should be a LOCK pin on most processors that locks the
    > > >                memory bus. The kernel module can lock the bus and proceed to
    > > >                zero out all memory not used by the good kernels page tables.
    > > No. You can't assume you know about all memory. (And I think LOCK does
    > > not work the way you imagine it). Rogue second cpu could be hiding in
    > > videoram of PCI card, for example.
    >
    > You shouldn't need to know about all the memory.  Insert a TLB entry to map
    > a page of virtual memory to the first page of physical memory.  Zero it out.
    > Proceed to zero out every physical page of memory.  Who cares if there is a
    > physical page there or not.  You only have 4gb to go through.  It may trash
    > some device detection though.

    BTW I forgot about trivial method to do this: put your rogue code into
    boot-prom of your network card. It is quite easy to do, and you can't
    zero ROM :-).

    > > Remove heatsink from the cpu. Watch your "trusted" program do
    > > single-bit errors from time to time. Have fun.
    >
    > Doh, I hadn't thought of that one ;)

    This is really the worst of all, since it happens pretty often by
    accidents. (You know, average live of cpu fan is 6 months or so.)

    								Pavel
    --
    The best software in life is free (not shareware)!		Pavel
    GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+