Security Issues with HIGHSPEEDWEB.NET leased servers

From: Brian Mueller (bmuellerat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 17:42:09 PST

    Recently I started leased a dedicated server from HIGHSPEEDWEB.NET, it came
    preconfigured (somewhat) and I was told that it would be "secure" for telnet
    (only specifically stated IP address(s) could gain access), etc.  However, I
    have found that this is not the case, it seems that they do not place
    limiting information in the host.deny file so anyone can still telnet into
    the server.

    Also, their mail configuration which allows users to add mail aliases either
    via a web interface or by editing a file called .mailalias in their home
    directories is faulty.  Users may place _ANY_ valid local domain into this
    file and forward mail from that domain to their email address.  The system
    works by running a cron script once per day and updating the sendmail
    virtual user database.  The following is an example

    person A has a webhosting account on the HIGHSPEEDWEB.NET configured server,
    person B wishes to "steal" email from Person A, they are targeting the
    sales@person-a-domain.com as the attacked address and they are going to have
    that forwarded to fooat_private, they add the following line to their
    .mailalias file

    sales@person-a-domain.com    fooat_private

    when the next update occurs any email sent to sales@person-a-domain.com will
    be forwarded to fooat_private, this also works with wildcards i..e.

    @person-a-domain.com    fooat_private

    would work if your entry is read into the sendmail virtual user database
    before the one that exists in Person A's directory.

    I notified HIGHSPEEDWEB.NET of the security issue well over a month ago and
    have not had any response from them regarding a fix.  I however did instate
    one of my own my forcing users to call myself to have aliases added for the
    time being.

    Brian Mueller

    Brian Mueller
    President/CEO