Re: Crafted Packets Handling by Firewalls - FW-1 case

From: Darren Reed (avalonat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 16:39:09 PST

    In some mail from Ofir Arkin, sie said:

    > I will try to focus more on the subject.
    >
    > FW-1 do accept:  ACK, SYN-ACK, NULL, FIN-ACK  (and more) as valid
    > traffic if they match the rule base, even if no connection establishment
    > was in progress and no session state was in the firewalls table.
    [...]

    FW-1's behaviour in this respect has been discussed at length in the
    past and last year a patch was released by them for their base INSPECT
    code which changed the behaviour to not be this way.  A patch, which
    fixes this problem, was made available due to DoS problems.  I believe
    this URL will help you:

    http://www.checkpoint.com/techsupport/alerts/ackdos.html

    Darren