(no subject)

From: Morris, Joseph L. (Joseph.Morrisat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 05:57:19 PST

    Found this article on CNN this morning.....
    by Paul Krill
    (IDG) -- Microsoft is pledging a firm commitment to security with measures
    such as equipping its upcoming Windows 2000 operating system with 128-bit
    encryption and interacting with users and rival vendors to detect software
    breaches and bugs, a high-ranking company official said in a keynote speech
    at the RSA Conference 2000 show here Tuesday.
    User privacy also is a paramount concern, said the official, Brian
    Valentine, who is senior vice president of Microsoft's Windows 2000 product
    group.
    "The reason I'm here today is to do an industry call-to-action," for
    developers, vendors and others to boost computer security, Valentine said in
    his opening remarks.
    Included in Microsoft's plans are 24-hours-per-day, seven-days-a-week
    security hot lines, consultations, and collaboration with other vendors on
    security issues, Valentine said. Microsoft will re-launch its security
    response centers to provide the around-the-clock responses and will respond
    to issues within 24 hours, Valentine said.
    "We can't just trust the end-user to solve these problems themselves,"
    Valentine said.
    Microsoft has made a comprehensive effort to build Windows 2000 with
    security in mind, including having a staff of 15 people study the code for
    breaches, denials of service, and bugs.
    A preliminary version of the product also was put on the Internet to enable
    users to look for security breaches, Valentine said. Within two weeks, four
    denials of service bugs were found, but no breaches were discovered, he
    said.

    "We put it completely naked on the Internet," Valentine said.
    Source code also was delivered to 70 agencies and universities around the
    world for their perusal. Security efforts will be extended to other
    Microsoft products, such as the SQL Server database, said Valentine.
    Additionally, Microsoft in the latter half of this year plans to hold a
    summit meeting with vendors, customers, and other interested parties to
    discuss privacy and security issues. Also part of Microsoft's efforts is its
    security advisory council.
    A consumer privacy and security Web site will be set up, Valentine said.
    Microsoft already has a Web site for these issues that is tailored to IT
    professionals, at www.microsoft.com/security.
    "We believe as a company that if we don't deal with some of the privacy
    issues ... it will affect e-commerce to where people won't trust," what is
    on the Internet, Valentine said.
    A conference attendee said that Microsoft officials were making all the
    right statements pertaining to security, but it remains to be seen whether
    the company can live up to its commitment.
    "I don't think anybody has been satisfied," with the security of Microsoft
    products, said the attendee, a software project manager at a
    computer-related vendor who requested anonymity.
    Microsoft's success in marketing its products to the masses has made it a
    favorite target of virus writers and hackers, the attendee said.